1801 - Richmond, VA
7 JUL 1848 - Richmond, VA
Darius Griffin CralleDarius Cralle >> Eliza Jane Cralle >> Laura Sisson >> Louise Bryant >> Ralph Dameron >> Mark Dameron
Darius served in the War of 1812 as a member of the 37th Militia, even though he was quite young. The Northern Neck suffered a campaign of coastal raids by the British that saw many homes burned and crops destroyed. Though poorly equipped and over-matched, militia units were often called out to attempt to repel the British.
Darius married first to Jane Redman Hardwick, bond February 3rd, 1820, consent by John Hardwick the father of the bride. No children are known from this marriage, Jane must have died. Darius married secondly to Maria Gatewood Gordon, bond made December 22nd, 1826. She was the daughter of John Gordon and Elizabeth Tune. They had at least eight children.
Darius G. Cralle is listed as the head of a family in Richmond County on the 1830 census. Household members are given as one white male 20-29, one white male 30-39, one white female 20-29 and one black female slave 10-23.
The 1840 census lists Da. G. Cralle as the head of a family in Northumberland County. Household members were listed as; two white males under 5, one white male 40-49, two white females 5-9, one white female 15-19, one white female 30-39 and one black female slave under 10.
In 1842 Darius purchased 30 acres of land from Malinda Pridham for $15.90. The property was on the road from Village to Westmoreland.
Darius was a founding member of Gibeon Baptist Church. In June of 1848 Darius sold a 1/2 acre of land to Gibeon Meeting House for $1. According to his headstone Darius died the same year and was buried at the church.
- Virginia, Select Marriages, 1785-1940
- "Richmond, Virginia, United States Records," images, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-89XF-4VJX : December 22, 2020), image 48 of 208; Richmond County (Virginia). County Clerk.
- 1830; Census Place: Richmond, Virginia; Series: M19; Roll: 194; Page: 91; Family History Library Film: 0029673
- Year: 1840; Census Place: Northumberland, Virginia; Roll: 570; Page: 238; Image: 487; Family History Library Film: 0029690
- "Northumberland, Virginia, United States Records," images, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSYD-891N-Q : September 11, 2020), image 438 of 468; Virginia. County Court (Northumberland County).
- Web: Virginia, Find A Grave Index, 1607-2012
- For Love of Family, Peter T. Baron, Jr, 2012
- King, George H. S. Marriages of Richmond County, Virginia, 1668-1853. Fredericksburg, Va: G.H.S. King, 1964. Print. Pg. 45.
Spouses & Children:
- Jane Redman Hardwick
- Jane Redman Hardwick
- Samuel Cralle
- John Spelman Cralle
- Sarah Cralle
- Mary Cralle