ABT 1801 - Northumberland, VA
ABT 1865 - Northumberland, VA
John MarshJohn Marsh >> Mary J. Marsh >> Sadie Marsh >> Maida Haynie >> Savilla Bush >> Maida George
The 1830 census lists John Marsh as the head of a family in Northumberland, family members were; one male 15-19, one male 20-29, two females under 5, one female 20-29, one male slave under 10, two female slaves 36-54.
Also in 1840 John Marsh is listed as the head of family. Listed on the census are two males 5-9, one male 30-39, three females under 5, two females 10-14, one female 20-29 and one female 30-39. No slaves were marked.
The 1850 census gives a fuller account of John's family. They are listed in the 7th District of Northumberland. John's age is given as 49 and he is listed as a laborer. He and his wife are both marked as unable to read or write. He has no real estate listed. Children listed are; Frances 23, Sarah 14, Mary 12, Martha 10, Walter 6, William 3, James 2 and John 1.
Even though no real estate was listed John Marsh appears on the 1850 Agricultural Schedule. He may have been renting the land. He is shown with 130 acres, 100 of which is improved. The farm land is valued at $100 and his tools at $33. John had one horse, three milk cows, two working oxen, six other cows, ten sheep and twelve hogs. The livestock was valued at $175. The farm produced 45 bushels of wheat and 500 bushels of corn the previous year. Also produced on the farm was 16 pounds of wool, four bushels of Irish potatoes, 10 bushels of sweet potatoes and 40 pounds of butter. Value of livestock slaughtered in the past year was listed at $400.
The 1860 census lists John W. Marsh in Northumberland near the Heathsville Post Office. Again he has no real estate listed. His personal property is valued at $80. He and all his family are marked as being born in Northumberland. Sarah, Mary, Walter, William and James are still listed as living at home.
John Marsh's date of death is unknown. I have found no further records for him.
- 1830; Census Place: Northumberland, Virginia; Series: M19; Roll: 201; Page: 213; Family History Library Film: 0029680
- Year: 1840; Census Place: Northumberland, Virginia; Roll: 570; Page: 253; Family History Library Film: 0029690
- Year: 1850; Census Place: District 7, Northumberland, Virginia; Roll: M432_965; Page: 347A; Image: 152
- Census Year: 1850; Census Place: District 7, Northumberland, Virginia; Archive Collection Number: T1132; Roll: 3; Page: 269; Line: 28; Schedule Type: Agriculture
- Year: 1860; Census Place: Northumberland, Virginia; Roll: M653_1367; Page: 797; Family History Library Film: 805367
- Virginia, Marriages, 1740-1850
- Nottingham, Stratton. The Marriage License Bonds of Northumberland County, Virginia, from 1783 to 1850. Baltimore: Genealogical Pub. Co, 1976. Print.
- "Northumberland, Virginia, United States Records," images, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C91H-HQSH-B : January 16, 2021), image 252 of 764; Northumberland County (Virginia). County Clerk.