ABT 1812 - Richmond, VA
Lucinda BoothLucinda Booth >> Middleton Lewis >> Fairfax Lewis >> Orah Lewis >> Marvin George >> Maida George
Lucinda married Alfred B. Lewis on December 2nd, 1834 in Northumberland county. They went on to have at least one son and three daughters.
No Alfred Lewis appears as the head of a family in the Northern Neck for the 1840 census.
The 1850 census shows Alfred and his family in Farnham Parish of Richmond county. Alfred is listed as a wheel-right, his real estate is valued at $800. His age is given as 39 and birthplace as Northumberland County. Lucinda is listed as age 38, born in Richmond county and unable to read or write. Middleton is listed as age 15, working on a farm and being born in Richmond county. Lavalia, 11, and Alcinda, 4, are both marked as born in Northumberland. Almedia, age 2, is listed as being born in Richmond. Also living with the family and working as a farmer is 22 year old Herna Hale.
In 1856 two of Lucinda's children died of scarlet fever. Almedia, age 8, died on January 16th, followed two days later by her brother, Alfred, age 6. Alfred was not listed on the 1850 census but must have been born soon after. On the death register the parents were listed as Alfred B. and Lucy. Alfred was listed as the one who reported their deaths.
The 1860 census shows Lucinda and Alfred still in Richmond county. His occupation is listed as a farmer, His real estate was valued at $600 and his personal estate at $20. Living with the family is a 22 year old man, AW Dobyns listed as farm labor, a 20 year old woman, Ellen Perkerson listed as domestic help and 22 year old man, Lewis Bryant, who was marked as deaf and dumb.
An appraisal of the estate of Alfred B. Lewis appears in the Richmond County records on October 15th, 1866. He must have died at some point earlier that year and may not have had a will.
On the 1870 census Lucinda was listed as Lucy B. Lewis, head of the household in RIchmond County, Farnham district. Listed with her were Joseph Lewis age 17, and William Dobyns age 8.
On the 1880 census she was recorded in the same district, her age was given as 69 and her occupation as farmer. Her son Joseph still lived with her, he was recorded as a carpenter. William Dobyns, George Dobyns, and Mary Dobyns were also recorded as living with her and all three were marked as grandchildren. No further records for Lucinda have been found.
- Year: 1850; Census Place: Farnham Parish, Richmond, Virginia; Roll: M432_972; Page: 171A; Image: 340
- Census Year: 1850; Census Place: Farnham, Richmond, Virginia; Archive Collection Number: T1132; Roll: 3; Page: 141; Line: 40; Schedule Type: Agriculture
- Year: 1860; Census Place: Richmond, Virginia; Roll: M653_1374; Page: 339; Family History Library Film: 805374
- Year: 1870; Census Place: Farnham, Richmond, Virginia; Roll: M593_1674; Page: 208B
- Year: 1880; Census Place: Farnham, Richmond, Virginia; Roll: 1386; Page: 397B; Enumeration District: 096
- Virginia, Marriages, 1740-1850
- "Northumberland, Virginia, United States Records," images, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C91H-XSX7-G : October 7, 2020), image 665 of 821; Northumberland County (Virginia). County Clerk.
- Virginia, Wills and Probate Records, 1652-1983
- Death registers, 1853-1906 (Virginia); ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-6943-QVN. Family Search.