ABT 1791 - Northumberland, VA
AFT 1860 - Northumberland, VA
Benjamin DawsonBenjamin Dawson >> Frances Dawson >> John Allen >> Bessie Allen >> Thelma Barnes >> Frances Franklin >> Mark Dameron
Benjamin Dawson does not appear to be listed as the head of a family on the 1820 Census. In 1830 Benjamin is listed in Northumberland County. Household family members are listed as two males under 5, two males 5-9, one male 10-14, one male 30-39, two females 10-14, one female 30-39 and one male slave 10-23.
In 1840 Benjamin is again listed in Northumberland. The family members are listed as two males 5-9, two males 10-14, two males 15-19, one male 40-49, one female under 5, one female 20-29 and one female 40-49. No slaves are listed and four people are listed as working in agriculture.
On the 1850 census Benjamin and Frances are listed in Northumberland County. He is a farmer with real estate valued at $4,000. The four oldest sons work as sailors. Everyone in their family is listed as being about to read and write. A 14 year old boy named Robert Clark also lives with them.
On the 1860 census all of Benjamin and Frances' children have moved out. Benjamin's age is given as 68 and his wife as 66. He is still listed as working as a farmer. Their real estate is valued at $3,200 and personal estate at $3,333.
In 1860 Benjamin is also listed on the farm schedule. He has 120 improved and 280 unimproved acres of land. He had two horses, 13 pigs, five milk cows, six working cows and nine other cows. The livestock was valued at $458. He was also listed as producing 206 bushels of wheat and 500 bushels of indian corn.
No further records have been found for Benjamin, his burial location is unknown.
- Virginia, Marriages, 1740-1850
- 1830; Census Place: Northumberland, Virginia; Series: M19; Roll: 201; Page: 201; Family History Library Film: 0029680
- Year: 1840; Census Place: Northumberland, Virginia; Page: 241
- Year: 1850; Census Place: District 7, Northumberland, Virginia; Roll: M432_965; Page: 320A; Image: 98
- Year: 1860; Census Place: Northumberland, Virginia; Roll: M653_1367; Page: 808; Family History Library Film: 805367
- Census Year: 1860; Census Place: Northumberland, Virginia; Archive Collection Number: T1132; Roll: 7; Page: 3; Line: 25; Schedule Type: Agriculture