ABT 1763 - Accomack, VA
BEF 23 FEB 1835 - Accomack, VA
Tabitha ParksTabitha Parks >> Sarah Lewis >> Sallie Justice >> Edward Barnes >> Eddie Barnes >> Thelma Barnes >> Frances Franklin >> Mark Dameron
Tabitha married William Lewis about 1785, son of Absalom Lewis and Esther. Tabitha and William had four children. William died by drowning in 1796 and left no will. Tabitha was granted administration of his estate on December 26th, 1796.
Tabitha appears not to have remarried until sometime between 1820 and 1823. She wed Samuel Russell, a veteran of the Revolutionary War. (In Russell's 1820 benefit application no wife was named, but on his application dated April 3rd 1823 Tabitha's name appears.) An excerpt from the 1823 statement reads:
The said Samuel further states that he is unhealthy, very feeble, unable to work but little, and nearly blind; that he has no trade, and that he pursues no particular occupation; that his family consist of himself and his wife; that his wife is named Tabitha; that she is upward of sixty years old and afflicted with disease and very feeble, and that neither himself nor his wife are able to support themselves, but they have lately lived in part on the Charity of their friends, and that he is in such indigent circumstances as to be unable to support himself without the assistance of his Country or by private charity
In 1825 Tabitha was named in the will of Samuel to receive his estate until the time of her death and then the property be passed to his children from an earlier marriage. Samuel died on February 4th, 1831.
On July 30th, 1832 Tabitha was listed as the widow of Samuel Russell to receive a Revolutionary War Pension. Tabitha died before February 23rd, 1835. Adminstration of her estate was granted to Francis R. Ayres with Thomas Johnson & James Lewis securities.
- Miles Files 18.1 - http://espl-genealogy.org
- Watring, Anna M. Accomack County, Virginia Marriage References and Family Relationships, 1620-1800. Lewes, Del: Colonial Roots, 2013. Print. Pg. 140.
- Stratton Nottingham, Accomack Co, VA, Wills & Administrations, 1663-1800, p. 437
- Stratton Nottingham, Russell Family from Somerset County, Maryland Records, Accomack Co, VA Orders, 1829-1832, pgs. 176 & 536
- Barry W. Miles & Moody K. Miles III, Accomack Co, VA, Wills & Administrations, 1800-1860, pgs. 460 & 461
- Stratton Nottingham, Soldiers and Sailors of the Eastern Shore of Virginia In the Revolutionary War, p. 30.
Spouse & Children:
- John Parks
- Mark Parks
- Rachel Parks
- Ann Parks
- Comfort Parks
- Solomon Parks
- Sacker Parks