About 1815 - Accomack, VA
29 DEC 1896 - Hopkins, Accomack, VA
James BarnesJames Barnes >> Susan Barnes >> Eddie Barnes >> Thelma Barnes >> Frances Franklin >> Mark Dameron
James was a farmer, carpenter and ship builder from Accomack County.
The first record I have found for James is the 1850 census. He is listed as a farmer, age 35, with an estate worth $600. He is marked as being born in Virginia and as unable to read or write. His wife Emeline is marked as being born in Maryland. In addition to four children already listed, John and Molly Thomas are listed as living with them, ages 70 and 74 respectively, both born in Maryland. The census location is Accomack Parish in Accomack County.
In the 1860 census James is still listed as a farmer, his real estate is now valued at $800 and he has personal property worth $150. Three more children have been born since the last census. His wife's mother, age given as 90, is still living with them her name is written as Mary Thomas instead of Molly this time. They are shown in Accomack Parish near Metompkin post office.
By 1870 James is no longer farming, he is listed as a carpenter. His estate is valued at $500 and personal property at $100. His three sons all work as oyster men. The census places them in Metompkin township of Accomack nearest the Modest Town post office.
In 1880 all of the children have moved on except the youngest, Missouri. James' occupation is given as ship carpenter. The form puts them in the 7th enumeration district of Accomack County.
James died on December 29th, 1896. His place of death was given as Hopkins in Accomack and his age as 82. The cause of death was given as "Paralysis of Brain." His parents names were listed as Arthur and Famie and his occupation listed as a mechanic. His death was reported by his son James. His burial location is unknown.
- Year: 1850; Census Place: Accomack, Accomack, Virginia; Roll: M432_932; Page: 56A; Image: 117
- Year: 1860; Census Place: Accomack Parish, Accomack, Virginia; Roll: M653_1330; Page: 55; Family History Library Film: 805330
- Year: 1870; Census Place: Metompkin, Accomack, Virginia; Roll: M593_1630; Page: 144B; Image: 263420; Family History Library Film: 553129
- Year: 1880; Census Place: Accomack, Virginia; Roll: 1351; Family History Film: 1255351; Page: 190A; Enumeration District: 007
- Family Data Collection - Individual Records, Edmund West, comp.
- Virginia, Deaths and Burials Index, 1853-1917
- Virginia, Select Marriages, 1785-1940
- "Amherst, Virginia, United States Records," images, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-DZGS-8B5 : January 16, 2021), image 544 of 717; Virginia. Bureau of Vital Statistics.
Spouse & Children:
- Lewis Scarburgh Barnes
- John Barnes
- William Barnes
- Elizabeth S. Barnes