ABT 1779 - VA
21 JAN 1815 - Norfolk, VA
Randall C. ClarkRandall Clark >> Hempsel Clarke >> Anna Clark >> Apphia Sisson >> George Franklin >> Frances Franklin >> Mark Dameron
Randall Clark died in Norfolk during the War of 1812.
Randall married Nancy Davis on July 16th, 1801 in Northumberland County. They appear to have had several children. The 1810 census in Richmond county listed Randall Clark as the head of family. Household members were; four males under 10, one male 26-44, three females under 10 and one female 26-44.
During the War of 1812 Randall enlisted in the 111th Regiment, VA Militia under the command of Lt. Col. Richard E. Parker. In early 1813 nearly half of the militias across the state sent units to Norfolk to prepare a defense, this included the 111th. Randall appears to have briefly been recorded as part of the 41st Militia out of Norfolk before eventually joining the 20th Regiment of the US Infantry. Randall may have participated in the Battle of Craney Island on June 22nd, 1813. This important American victory saved the cities of Norfolk and Portsmouth from invasion along with the Gosport Naval Yard. It appears Randall remained in Norfolk for the duration of the War and did not return home. According to US Pension Rolls Randall died on January 21st, 1815. His home county was given as Richmond and his survivors to receive pension benefits were listed as; William, Eliza, Fanny, John, Hempsel, Josiah and Sally Clark. They received $48 per year from 1820 to 1825. Randall's death occurred after the treaty to end the war was signed but before it was ratified by congress. At that point fighting in Virginia had effectively ended. He may have died of illness.
- "Northumberland, Virginia, United States Records," images, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C91C-49FY-2 : April 27, 2022), image 704 of 712; Northumberland County (Virginia). County Clerk. (1801 Marriage Bond - Northumberland Marriages, 1798-1801, Loose Papers.)
- Year: 1810; Census Place: Richmond, Virginia; Roll: 70; Page: 343; Image: 00648; Family History Library Film: 0181430
- U.S., War of 1812 Service Records, 1812-1815
- Senate Documents, Otherwise Publ. as Public Documents and Executive Documents: 14th Congress, 1st Session-48th Congress, 2nd Session and Special Session. United States, n.p, 1835. (U.S., The Pension Roll of 1835, Volume 2, Section: Virginia Pension Rolls, Page 33.)
- For Love of Family, Peter T. Baron, Jr, 2012
- United States War of 1812 Index to Service Records, 1812-1815; https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33SQ-G5ZQ-WVM?cc=1916219&wc=M6Y6-P3F%3A203043501
- United States War of 1812 Index to Service Records, 1812-1815; https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-95ZQ-SD5?cc=1916219&wc=M6Y6-P3F%3A203043501