ABT 1677 - Lancaster, VA
BEF 6 FEB 1709 - Lancaster, VA
William George SrWilliam George >> William George >> Martin George >> William George >> Michael George >> Zamoth George >> Luther George >> Gordon George >> Marvin George >> Maida George
In 1694 William renewed the patent on 81 acres of the original 700 acres patented by Nicholas George in 1652. The land was described as "Lying on the westward branch of Corritoman River. Adjoining land of Benjamin Doggett and run. &c. on a branch of George's Creek."
William George married Elizabeth Ann Carter on June 15th, 1698. She was the daughter of Thomas Carter and Katherine Dale. William was mentioned in the 1700 will of Thomas Carter for not providing a receipt for the inheritance his wife received from her grandfather, Edward Dale. He and his wife received only one shillings from Thomas Carter because of this.
Item I do give all my personal estate whatsoever its to be Equally Divided my loving wife and children only reserving the great table to my wife whereas my son in Law hath Received fifteen hundred and sixty pounds of Tobacco in part of the estate his Grandfather in Law Edward Dale gave his wife I having no Receipt for it and if the said William George will not be accountable for it then it is my will that he shall have no part of my said estate but only one shilling sterling in full part of his wife portion
William died before February 6th, 1709 without a written will. A nuncupative will was recorded leaving the estate to his wife to bring up the children. Witnesses to this oral will were Elinour George and Benjamin Doggett. Elizabeth remarried to Robert Marshall. In 1717 a small inventory of livestock was recorded as belonging to the estate of William George. The total value was 32 pounds.
- George, William. Land Grant 24 November 1694. N.p., 1694. Print.
- Lancaster County Will Will Book 10, Page 17.
- Lancaster County Will Will Book 10, Page 242.
- "Lancaster, Virginia, United States Records," images, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C9PF-CSKB-Y : November 1, 2020), image 116 of 676; Virginia. County Court (Lancaster County).
- "Lancaster, Virginia, United States Records," images, FamilySearch (https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C9PF-CS2Z-7 : March 21, 2021), image 353 of 676; Virginia. County Court (Lancaster County).
- Wright, F E. Lancaster County, Virginia Marriage References and Family Relationships. , 2015. Print. Pg. 80.
- Nicholas George Jr