BEF 5 APR 1715 - Accomack, VA
John Barnes, Sr.John Barnes >> John Barnes >> Arthur Barnes >> John Barnes >> Arthur Barnes >> James Barnes >> Susan Barnes >> Eddie Barnes >> Thelma Barnes >> Frances Franklin >> Mark Dameron
John Barnes was recorded in Accomack, VA in 1672 and may have immigrated sooner.
The earliest record in Virginia for John Barnes is on May 3rd, 1672 in Accomack when he signed a letter with Frances Sacker acknowledging that her children would receive what was due to them from their father's will after the marriage of John and Frances. She had been married to Edward Sacker about 1660 and had three children before his death in 1671. Frances and John had another three children together.
Upon the consideration of a marriage to be solomized between us the subscribers, we do hereby oblige ourselves and heirs and executors to pay or deliver unto Bridget Sacker one feather bed and boulster when she shall attain the age of sixteen years and to deliver unto William Sacker his father's gun, and in consideration of a pistoll and cutlass to pay Francis Sacker such another as his father's gun is when they attain the age of eighteen years to all the premises we have hereunto set our hands this 3 May 1672. Signed: John Barnes & Frances Sacker. Acknowledged in open court 16 Apr 1678, by John Barnes.
In 1674 the sheriff of Northampton County was directed to make an agreement with a John Barnes to build a jail, fifteen feet long and ten feet wide for 800 pounds of tobacco. The name John Barnes also appeared on tax lists in Accomack in 1674 and 1677.
Frances died after 1677 and John remarried to Elizabeth Anderson before April 16th, 1678. Elizabeth was the widow of Henry Truitt. In his 1676 will Truitt named his wife Elizabeth, his son George, and mentioned an unborn child. That child was Henry Trewitt. Both of these sons of Elizabeth later received land from John Barnes.
In 1680 John purchased 300 acres of land in Accomack from Richard and Ruth Bundick. That land was near Metompkin Bay, south of Bundick Creek. This property was the main Barnes homesite, and was held in our line from John Barnes for at least five generations. In 1682 John Barnes and George Parker received a joint patent for 350 acres on what is today called Metompkin Island. John Barnes, Jr, inherited both parcels. He sold the 175 acre share of the patent in 1726, and passed the land purchased in 1680 down to his sons.
In 1686 John purchased 240 acres of land in Gargathy Neck from Daniel Jenifer for nine thousand pounds of tobacco. Then in 1689 he purchased an additional 600 acres from Jenifer for 18,500 pounds of tobacco. And in 1690 he purchased a final 300 acres from Jenifer for nine thousand pounds of tobacco.
In 1687 John assigned 240 acres, assumed to be same 240 acres purchased the previous year, to Henry Trewitt. Then in 1693 John sold 300 acres near Modest Town to George Truitt for 10,500 pounds of tobacco. That may have been the same 300 acres purchased in 1690. George being the older son would have inherited lands from his father automatically.
In 1697 John made deeds of gift to each of his daughters after they had married; Mary and John Nock, and Ann and Edward Mills. The 600 acre purchase from 1689 was divided in half.
Around 1700 John Barnes, Sr married for the third time to Amey Anderson, sister of his previous wife Elizabeth. No children came from those two later marriages.
In 1705 John Barnes, Sr was one of the men directed by the county of Accomack to make an agreement and hire a contractor to build the first county courthouse.
In 1706 John along with his son, John Jr., witnessed the will of William Hudson. In 1712 John was named as an overseer in the will of John Barker.
John made his own will on April 27th, 1714 in Accomack County. He left one shilling each to daughters Ann Mills, Mary Nock, and also to 'Henry Trewit - alias Barnes.' He named his son John to receive the rest of his estate and to act as executor. The will was probated on April 5th, 1715.
- 1672 Marriage Agreement (Recorded in court records in 1678)
- 1680 Land Purchase - 2
- 1682 Land Patent
- 1686 Land Purchase - 2
- 1687 Deed to Henry Trewitt
- 1689 Land Purchase - 2
- 1690 Land Purchase - 2 - 3
- 1693 Deed to George Truitt (Transcribed)
- 1697 Deed of Gift A - 2 (Transcribed)
- 1697 Deed of Gift B - 2 (Transcribed)
- 1714 Power of Attorney
- 1714 Will
- 1714 Will - 2 (Transcribed)
- Miles Files, Eastern Shore Public Library, http://espl-genealogy.org
- Watring, Anna M. Accomack County, Virginia Marriage References and Family Relationships, 1620-1800. Lewes, Del: Colonial Roots, 2013. Print. Pg. 15.
- Stratton Nottingham, Accomack Co, VA, Certificates and Rights, 1663-1709 and Tithables, 1663-1695, p. 56 (Certificate granted to Danll Neech).
- Whitelaw Ralph T. Virginia's Eastern Shore; a History of Northampton and Accomack Counties. P. Smith 19681951. (Land Maps)
- Accomack, VA Wills and Deeds, 1676-1690, Page 236. (1680 Deed for 300 acres)
- Barness, Jno. Land Grant 22 December 1682. N.p., 1682. Print. (1682 Patent for 350 acres)
- Accomack, VA Wills and Deeds, 1676-1690, Page 427. (1686 Deed for 240 acres)
- Accomack, VA Wills and Deeds, 1676-1690, Page 458. (1687 Assignment of 240 acres)
- Accomack, VA Wills and Deeds, 1676-1690, Page 494. (1689 Deed for 600 acres)
- Accomack, VA Wills and Deeds, 1676-1690, Page 535. (1690 Deed for 300 acres)
- Accomack, VA Wills and Deeds, 1692-1715 Part 1, Page 54. (1693 Sale of 300 acres)
- Accomack, VA Wills and Deeds, 1692-1715 Part 1, Page 284. (1697 Deed of Gift to Mary)
- Accomack, VA Wills and Deeds, 1692-1715 Part 1, Page 304. (1697 Deed of Gift to Ann)
- Accomack, VA Wills and Deeds, 1692-1715 Part 3, Page 241. (1714 Will)